Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I replace the output speed sensor on the transmission on my 99 Ford Windstar?

I took the car into AAmco and they said I needed to replace the output speed sensor. We are trying to replace it ourselves, but are not sure where it is or how to do it.How do I replace the output speed sensor on the transmission on my 99 Ford Windstar?The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is mounted into the transmission, in a position so that it engages with the output shaft. Not the CV shaft, but where the speedometer cable would otherwise go. You vehicle may or may not also have a speedometer cable. If it does, it will connect to the VSS. There will be a wiring connection to the VSS either way. You need to disconnect that, the speedometer cable (if you have one), and there should be a small bolt with a hold down clamp to remove. After that, it just pulls straight out. Make sure you don't get any dirt in the hole it fits into, and put some fresh ATF on the O-ring of the new part before you install it.