Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How can I replace the wooden door sill underneath my front door?

I have a raised porch. The door sill underneath the front door is rotting and I would like to replace it. How can I remove the door sill? Do I have to take the door down and all sides and additional pieces? What kind of wood do you recommend and do I get a 2x4 or 2x6?How can I replace the wooden door sill underneath my front door?All the charm of and old house.

Most of the ones I have worked on were made of oak. A few were southern yellow pine, but they were produced when old growth timber was still available. The threshold will be one piece, so you will need to get something just as wide and thick or do a glue-up to match. The door jambs are rabbeted to accept the threshold and nailed in from the side of the jamb. You could replace it without removing the entire jamb but will need to shim under the new one to keep it tight to the top of the rabbets.

If its not too rotted you might want to consider and exterior grade wood filler and repaint it. Good luck with the project.
  • acne on back shoulders
  • get liquid foundation
  •