Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I replace/install an interior door and frame?

I need to replace the interior doors of my home, they are very dated. I see at lowe's or home depot I can purchase them, but I have never installed one before.How do I replace/install an interior door and frame?If you want to save the existing molding, start by gently scoring the frame along the wall with a razor knife. Get a small flat bar and gently pry the molding until you can see where the finish nails are. Use the smallest nail set or punch available and drive the nails through the molding and remove.

Remove the door from the frame as well as any shims. Pry the frame off the studs and header or saws-all them off.

Now the important stuff. Carefully cut the bottom of the jambs for height. The top of the jamb should be within 1/4 inch of the header. Remove the door from the new unit and install the jamb using finish nails and shims to ENSURE it is level, square and true. Take your time as that is the most important part. Hang the new door and test it. If things look good, replace the molding, set the nails, fill and paint/stain.

Good luck