Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I replace a garbage disposal with regular piping?

I have a garbage disposal that don't work. I think the motor is burnt out. I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it was to just take the disposal out and replace it with regular pipe. Is this something that I could do myself or would I have to hire a plumber. Any advice would be a big help. Thanks in advance to all who will take time to pass their advice on.How do I replace a garbage disposal with regular piping?Garbage disposals are detrimental to the sewer system, garbage belongs in the garbage can, many local authorities have banned their replacement, if you want to keep taxes down, it costs to treat everything that goes into the drain. First, SHUT OFF THE ELECTRIC, if you can't, forget about doing the job. Open the box where the wire enters the disposal, disconnect the wires and place wire nuts and electrical tape over them. Cut the pipe that leads to the wall, just after the u-shaped bend. Support the disposal, Hit the ring at the top of the disposal, counterclockwise, or put a screwdriver into one of the loops and twist. Take the back end of the pipe you cut off the u-bend[trap], to the home store and ask for a Fernco fitting to attach the pipe out of the wall to the new trap, purchase the trap, preferably plastic; the tailpiece, and the basket strainer to go into the sink opening, use silicone caulk to install the strainer, they will tell you to use plumbers putty, don't. Good Luck!How do I replace a garbage disposal with regular piping?try turning the disposal with the wrench that came with it, push the little red reset button at the bottom, check the breaker, will it run now ? to remove it take disposal loose theres a ring that holds it on turn it counter clock wise, unplug disposal, then you can hook up regular pipes to the sink drain,How do I replace a garbage disposal with regular piping?Just remove the disposal ,and any wiring, and connect remaining pipes with a short length of pipe. (be sure to dope up the pipe good so it don't leak) a pretty simple operation really.How do I replace a garbage disposal with regular piping?your local hardware store will be more than glad to help and do it right.How do I replace a garbage disposal with regular piping?Look on the bottom on the disposal for a reset button. If it still dont work check to see if it has power .