Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I choose a sump pump to replace the existing one?

How do I choose a sump pump what do I need to take into consideration? If possible I would like one with multiple speeds which matches the amount of water the one which is there is not emptying the water table it is quite highabout an inch below the bottom of hole, it is about 40 years old we think as it looks like the system was installed with the house it is either that or they put a whole new concrete floor in when they did it over.How do I choose a sump pump to replace the existing one?Many years ago I had to replace a sump pump in the basement where I lived at that time.

I had to consider the following when getting one.

1. voltage available

2. Height of water to be removed at the very worst- I increased this so it will not come on as often and will pump more out when it does.

3. How long to empty water before it refills again- I wanted this to be less in case of constant fillup during rainstorms.

4. Distance to be pumped - how far to the outlet- you want it to be able to pump the above at a distance greater than what you require - I looked for one for 6 feet since I only needed 3 feet to sewage outlet.



For me, the pump that was there would clear out the %26quot;Hole%26quot; in about 4 minutes - it was about 4 gallons of liquid when full.

I replaced it with a pump that can pump out that amount in about 1 minute - just because if a heavy rain comes the pump can't keep up with the rainwater before.



I made sure the height could be adjusted so I can get higher to allow more water to fill in it, before activated - and empty it out in less than 1/2 the old time.

So I would say you want to increase height if you can - no matter what that height is you want it to pump faster than it did, about 1/4 the old time with the new height.

I only used a single speed - I felt that is all that was needed - to pump or not to pump.

Make sure it is braced pretty well too - I had an issue with this - even with the old one. Oh and don't drain to the bottom totally or the pump will suck up dirt if its not finished in there.

Remember the longer a pump runs the shorter its life will be - this is why I did what I did to not have the pump run long periods, plus if I got a really bad storm I know this pump will handle most of that much easier. Not to mention - this pump will last many years no problem. It really is cheaper to by more than you need today - than it is to buy smaller pumps every 10 or 15 years. This pump really could last 60 years in there no problem, that is about four smaller pumps. If the difference today is $30.00 That smaller pump will cost more to replace several times that the purchase of a larger pump.



So I would strongly suggest %26quot; Go Big (Liquid Volume)%26quot;How do I choose a sump pump to replace the existing one?it depends how much water gets in your basement and how often. I don't think they make them with more than one speed. Its measured in how many gallons it pumps out in a hour, they sit in the sump pit and pump as water passes them so they dont even need more than one speed. Just make sure u get one big enough to keep up with the amount of water coming in.. which doesnt take alot..go to like a home depot or something and tel them what u want, and how much water u get...they will point u to the right one.How do I choose a sump pump to replace the existing one?I don't know of one with multiple speeds. You can, of course get different size ones but, your going to pay the price. Make sure you need the one your going to buy. They Can be pretty expensive.



Get one of the newer ones that are self contained and small. they don't look like pumps anymore. Go to a farmers supply place, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.How do I choose a sump pump to replace the existing one?Zoeller is the brand that i had put in recently- mine went out- some brand from menards-the house is only 3 years old so go figure-but the one they replaced it with is cast iron.



www.Zoeller.com